Benton Franklin Humane Society (BFHS) was formed in 1966 and is a volunteer supported nonprofit organization fully funded by donations from generous people like yourself, who believe as we do in the mission of BFHS.
We participate in a variety of community events and humane education outreach efforts to raise awareness of the Shelter as a great source for a new pet. We also hold off-site adoptions in cooperation with local area businesses. Other support includes providing the Shelter with needed equipment and comfort items for the Shelter’s pets, and soliciting grants for shelter improvements and expansion.
We work tirelessly for the prevention of cruelty to animals and the creation of a more responsible and humane society. We operate the Roger James Animal Adoption Center, and Tri Cities only no-kill shelter and are located in Kennewick, Washington.
Our Accomplishments Include
- Benton Franklin Humane Society (BFHS)founded in 1966
- Converted to no-kill shelter – March, 2000
- In conjunction with the USHS and numerous other agencies, BFHS participated in the confiscation, rehabilitating, and placement of 371 Eskimo Dogs from a hoarding and breeding operation in Kennewick, Washington. – May, 2009
- Five-time recipient of the prestigious American Humane Association “Standard of Excellence” award. Only 72 out of more than 4,000 shelters across the nation received this award.
- Strategically planned, designed, built, and opened the Roger James Animal Adoption Center with a zero debt load, tripling our capacity to house animals – April, 2012
- Began construction on Outdoor Dog Runs – October, 2012
- Operate a FOOD BANK helping hundreds of families in need continue to keep their pets at home during hard times.
Our Board of Trustees
The BFHS board is comprised of citizens from around the Tri Cities just like you – people who care about animal welfare, are dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of the animals in the shelters care and beyond, and are accountable to the donors, supporters and volunteers who support our organization. Meet our Board of Trustees here.
Board members meet monthly to plan, review finances, and support upcoming events. Board meetings are generally held the 3rd Monday of each month. Click here for upcoming meeting dates.
Led by our Operations Manager, Shelter Staff work in teams to provide the hands on daily care of our feline and canine friends. Staff can be reached during normal shelter hours (Noon – 5:00 PM Monday-Friday & 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM Saturdays).
Click here to download a pdf of our bylaws.