Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation’s compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain love for one another.
~ Erma Bombeck
Current volunteers please log in HERE.
If you’re interested in volunteering, please complete our application located HERE.
We know the power of volunteers. We are built on volunteer power. And our volunteers are more than volunteers. They are our family.
We don’t mean they are our moms, our kids, our aunts- they might be those, too, but more than that, they are the ones who we lean on, who are there for us in good times and bad, the ones who show up when they would rather be watching football or playing out in the sunshine. They are the ones who know that the one thing they have to offer can make a difference. They come in all shapes, and ages, and sizes. They are busy with their own lives, their own families, their jobs, and life in general. But still they find the time, the effort, and the love to help our senior pets. They are the breath and the heartbeat of our organization, and without them, we would not exist.
Each year, hundreds of volunteers log thousands of hours to help us provide programs and services that simply would not be possible without the help of our Volunteers.
Here are some of the volunteer opportunities at BFHS. If you have a gift or skill you’d like to share that you don’t see listed, contact [email protected] and let us know. Volunteer now!
- Pet socialization: Walking and exercising dogs, brushing and combing dogs and cats, playing with puppies, and handling cats and kittens. Age Requirements: 16 years old and over.
- Fundraisers: Helping out with activities such as Mardi Gras, Crab Feed, and Santa etc. Help to come up with new ideas for fundraisers! Age Requirements: 16 years old and over for unsupervised events; 14 years and older if supervised by a parent or other responsible adult.
- Outreach Efforts: Have fun and educate the public at the same time about the mission of BFHS and the need for adoptive homes for hard to adopt animals. Age Requirements: 16 years old and over for unsupervised events; 14 years and older if supervised by a parent or other responsible adult.
- Foster Home Placement Volunteer: Be willing to take animals into your home for a short period of time. This may include Female dogs and cats with their young, to be weaned; orphaned or abandoned kittens and puppies too young for adoption; adult animals that may need a place to stay for a short period of time.
• Age Requirements: The responsible party must be at least 18 and have a home that will accommodate the animal.
- Office Help: Working in our shelter office and reception area is a great way to build your resume! All kinds of tasks from filing, reception duties, and more help free our staff to provide more direct care for our animals. Age Limitation: Must be at least 16 years old and possess a valid Washington Drivers License.
Other opportunities to serve include humane education, pet photography, grounds-keeping, and more. Join us! Give one day, or one small deed. It will make a difference. You’ll see.